Top Benefits of Ozone Therapy
Holistic dentistry is all about using safe, natural alternatives to help improve your oral health. Instead of relying upon antibiotics and other harmful materials, a holistic dentist will often incorporate alternative dental treatments, such as ozone therapy, into their day-to-day practice.
While there are a number of holistic dental treatment options available, ozone therapy tends to be the one that is most commonly used. To help people understand why ozone therapy is so popular, we will take a closer look at what ozone therapy is and how it works, as well as the benefits people receive when it is used as part of their dental care.
What is Ozone Therapy?
Ozone therapy takes a naturally occurring element – oxygen – and supercharges it to create a powerful, yet safe and natural product. Once the oxygen is supercharged it turns into ozone. Ozone has been proven to do everything from increase blood flow and strengthen the body’s immune system to improving healing time and disinfecting. It has also been proven to re-mineralize the enamel of the teeth which strengthens them and may reverse early signs of tooth decay.
There are a number of different ways ozone therapy can be administered when used in the dental industry. The first and most common, way to administer ozone therapy is through a gas. The gas can easily be breathed in. When this happens, the ozone material directly hits certain surfaces and instantly disinfects the area.
Other ways to administer ozone therapy are less popular but are sometimes used by holistic dentists. These less common ways to administer ozone therapy include dissolving it into the water and using it in oil form.
The Many Benefits of Ozone Therapy
Patients who undergo ozone therapy as part of their dental care routine receive numerous benefits. Some of the many benefits people receive from ozone therapy include:
- Ability to avoid painful, intensive dental procedures. Ozone therapy can help strengthen the teeth and treat a number of dental problems without requiring a person to undergo long, intensive dental procedures.
- Helps patients’ with sensitive teeth. Many times patients with sensitive teeth are forced to just ‘learn to live with it’, but ozone therapy can sometimes strengthen the enamel on the teeth which may help make the teeth less sensitive.
- Improves healing time if an invasive dental procedure is needed. If a complex dental procedure does need to be performed, ozone therapy can help speed up healing time.
- Improves the success rate of root canals. Ozone therapy can remove harmful bacteria from teeth that need to have a root canal. By using the ozone therapy to further disinfect the severely decayed tooth, a dentist improves the potential success rate of the root canal that is being performed.
- Safe alternative to treating some types of infections. Instead of using antibiotics, a dentist may be able to treat some infections with the use of ozone therapy.
- Fast dental treatment option. Some dental treatments require multiple visits. Ozone therapy can treat some of the same dental problems in a single office visit.
When is Ozone Therapy Used by Dentists?
Dentists can incorporate ozone therapy into your dental care routine by using it to enhance a number of common dental procedures. Some examples of dental problems that have been helped with the use of ozone therapy include:
- Tooth Extractions
- Root canal treatments
- Gum disease or periodontal disease/issues
- Infections of the gums, mouth, or teeth
- Strengthening teeth so tooth sensitivity is minimized
- Reversing early signs of tooth decay
- Treating any cavities or tooth decay that may have developed
Want to learn more about ozone therapy? Schedule an appointment with Smiles by Shields. Dr. Shields, a holistic dentist who offers both general and cosmetic dental services, will gladly discuss the benefits of ozone therapy with you and explain how it can help improve your overall oral care. Call our office today to schedule an appointment. We look forward to welcoming you to our office.