There are wide-ranging views about whether one, two, or more annual dental cleanings are adequate for healthy teeth and oral hygiene. Some studies indicate that a single visit could be sufficient for people with no underlying risk factors if they are vigilant about brushing and flossing. That’s a big “if” because about half the population has some risk factor that makes at least two cleanings necessary. As an integrative dentist in Jacksonville, FL residents trust, the professionals at Smiles by Shields Dentistry firmly believe that health and wellness go far beyond two cleanings per year.
How Do Dental Cleanings Work?
It’s an open secret that many people do not look forward to the prodding and noise experienced during teeth cleanings. Those are reasons some try to downplay the necessity of the process. But an experienced dental hygienist can painlessly perform a thorough cleaning that provides wide-reaching health benefits such as the following.
- Remove hard to reach plaque that can cause tooth decay
- Protect against gum infections and tooth loss
- Reduce bad breath
- Minimize staining and improve a bright smile
- Reduce the risk of ailments such as diabetes and heart disease
Scheduling at least two annual cleanings provides other benefits that may not be as easily quantifiable as eliminating plague and having a bright smile. That’s largely because a great deal more than polishing your teeth occurs during the appointment. A dental professional will examine your mouth thoroughly, looking for early warning signs of sometimes severe conditions. These typically include things such as oral cancer, anemia, gum disease, and other medical problems. The mouth tends to be a gateway to the entire body. This is why integrated dental practices are essential to overall health and wellness.
How Can Integrative Dentistry Supplement Teeth Cleanings?
One of the common misunderstandings about teeth cleanings has a pronounced and long-term effect on positive oral hygiene. The facts are that plaque quickly repopulates in your mouth soon after removal. That’s why brushing twice daily and flossing regularly are minimum standards.
Teeth cleanings effectively remove the deeply embedded plaque and unhealthy elements that your toothbrush misses. This reality is another reason why an integrated or “holistic” approach to dental health helps bridge the gap between deep cleanings and promote ongoing wellness.
Integrative dentistry considers what goes on in your mouth as a microenvironment of your overall health and wellness picture. For example, significant plaque buildup isn’t just a dental problem. It also indicates that your eating habits may lend themselves to cardiovascular disease. What goes in your mouth impacts the teeth and gums before it affects the entire body. That’s why sound nutrition, exercise, and mindfulness practices can have an overall positive influence.
Common Cited Benefits of Integrative Dentistry
- Avoids Mercury: The so-called “silver fillings” are made-up of metal alloys that may include mercury. Such elements are toxic to your entire body. Integrated dentists typically use filling materials that mirror teeth whiteness instead of metals.
- Proper Fluoride Use: Although dentists widely agree that fluoride is beneficial to teeth, many holistic practitioners advocate for topical applications rather than pills or to not use fluoride at all. Ingesting too much fluoride can have a negative effect on health because it is a neurotoxin.
- Cone Beam CT: Integrated dental practitioners are not throwbacks to the 18th Century. Instead, they utilize advanced technology to minimize health risks. The Cone Beam CT scan drastically reduces radiation associated with x-rays. This type of digital imaging is an example of how integrative dentistry uses the latest technology during teeth cleanings and examinations to improve overall health and wellness.
Traditional dentists and integrative practitioners enjoy broad agreement on in-office procedures. Like our traditional counterparts, we perform cleanings at least every six months, repairs are made to any teeth with damage, and we perform cosmetic dentistry Jacksonville, FL residents can rely on when necessary. But the primary difference is that integrative dentists treat the causes of dental problems to avoid tooth replacements. Traditional practices usually treat the symptoms after it’s too late.
Schedule A Dental Cleaning in Our Jacksonville, Florida Office
At Smiles by Shields, we provide compassionate dental care that considers our community members’ overall health and wellness. When you schedule a teeth cleaning with our experienced professionals, we provide insight into the causes of plaque buildup and provide direction that can improve the energy and wellbeing of you and your loved ones. For a comprehensive and non-invasive teeth cleaning, contact our Jacksonville office today.